Madeleines are a favourite in my house. They are classic French butter cakes which are perfect to eat with coffee or tea (think breakfast or afternoon snack). Also pretty perfect as a homemade school lunch treat. And they are super easy to make. You simply have to try my Madeleines Recipe…
ASIDE: a Madeleine pan is needed for making Madeleines. You can purchase them at baking supply stores or search Madeleine pans on Amazon (yes, that link will take you to the pans). I use a silicone pan myself (they turn out perfectly each time and cleaning up afterwards is a breeze).
ASIDE #2: if you don’t have a Madeleine pan…you can still use this recipe to make 10-12 regular muffins using a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners. It’s pretty close to my ORANGE MUFFINS recipe.
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe with kids.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (also known as pastry flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar (white sugar)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsps butter or margarine (I use magarine myself)
- 1 cup of milk
- juice of one orange
- Orange zest to taste
Note: you can switch up this recipe and make lemon cakes…just substitute the orange juice and orange zest for lemon juice and lemon zest
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure, pour, and stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a seperate bowl, measure, pour, and stir together eggs, oil, milk and juice and zest.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well (until there are no lumps).
- Spray Madeleine silicone mold or pan and spoon in mixture (about 3/4 full). The Madeleines will rise.
- Bake at 350 on centre rack for 20 minutes or until golden colour
- Remove from over and allow to cool on a cooling rack
- Store in airtight container for up to 1 week (if they last that long).
You might also like to try my BANANA BREAD RECIPE 🙂
This post is from the Parent Club archives 🙂