This might – quite possibly – be the best muffin recipe I ever created. Yes. It. Is. THAT. Good. Call them gâteau à l’orange or Orange Muffins (we use both depending on which anglophone/francophone is speaking). Moist, flavourful, and easy – you will want to make these Orange Muffins with your kids…
Aside: make your own natural air freshener by reusing the orange peels from the oranges in this recipe! Simply simmer orange peels, cloves, and water on your stove top. It’s eco-friendly, easy, and smells so good!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 oil
- freshly pressed juice of 2 large naval oranges
- Pre-heat oven to 350C.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Juice 2 large naval oranges
- Into the mixing bowl with dry ingredients – add eggs, oil and orange juice.
- Mix well.
- Pour into silicone muffin containers (or greased muffin pan). Makes 18 large Orange Muffins.
- Great for breakfast, school lunch, snacks.
And these Orange Muffins freeze well in an airtight container!
Easily turn this into a kid-activity by inviting your children to pull a chair up to the counter – and measure and mix the ingredients. If you are baking with more than one child – talk about “responsibilities” ahead of time so there will be no fighting (for example – when baking with my kids I have one being the “wet ingredient” kid, one the “dry ingredient” kid and one the “mixer”.)