This make your own ABC book for kids is inspired by a DIY board book I read back when I was a teen babysitting a toddler. The parent had taken Polaroids of their child’s COAT, HAT and SHOES then pasted them on pieces of paper and made a book. It was a great tool to teach the child to how to recognize their own belongings. It was also a boredom buster! It has stuck with me (all these years) that it is so easy to make your own ABC book for kids. Get out your digital camera and create a customized ABC book for your child. You could make an ABC book of things around the house starting with a photo of an Apple and ending with a close-up picture of your child’s Zipper…
You will need:
- three binder rings (available at dollar and craft stores)
- Paper (I suggest cutting 8 1/2 x 11 paper in half OR use recipe cards for a mini-book)
- Cardboard (you could cut cereal boxes and re-use the cardboard. Just glue paper or construction paper over the top to hide branding)
- Scissors (to cut paper)
- Hole punch
- Markers (or print out the words via your computer)
- Pictures (magazine cut outs or personal photos or clip art)
ABC book theme ideas
- What do I do in the morning? Pictures of toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, potty, cereal bowl, underwear, socks, pants, shirt, shoes, car seat, car, and more.
- What do I wear? Pictures of mittens, hat, snow pants, boots, pants, shirt, sunglasses, backpack, running shoes, bathing suit, pjs.
- Who do I love? Pictures of brothers, sisters, pets, parents, grandparents, friends, neighbours, cartoon characters, stuffed animals.
- What do I eat? Pictures of favourite foods from Avocado to Zucchini.
- My ABC book. Pictures things around the home: airplane, bananas, coat, dinosaur, ear, fish, garden, house, ice, etc.
- Cut 2 pieces of cardboard to size ( 5.5 x 8.5 – approximately half a 8.5 x 11 page).
- Make a cover page with card board.
- Make a back page with card board.
- Punch 3 holes in the left side of the card board pages.
- Cut your paper in half (approximately 5.5 x 8.5. If you are using recipe cards – use one card per page).
- Punch three holes in the left side of the pages.
- Glue a picture to the middle of the page.
- Write the name of the item on top of the page.
- Assemble your ABC book -> Cover, pages, back page.
- When you are done all your pages thread a binder ring through each of the hole punch holes.
You could laminate your pages at a copy centre (or put self-adhesive contact paper on them) for a longer lasting book.
SWITCH-UP! Are your kids learning another language? You can easily make ABC books in different languages (French, Spanish, etc…) to introduce basic vocabulary.
These books not only help kids’ identify things around them…it’s a good way to introduce reading and literacy. Sound out the words. Point to the pictures. Turn the pages.
Related: check out my award winning book Boredom Busters