Mmmm…Coffee Cake Muffins with brewed coffee. I know, normally coffee cake anything doesn’t actually have brewed coffee in it (it’s a mystery really). But I decided to go another level of flavour and add brewed coffee. Welcome to your new grab n’ go breakfast…
The backstory really…
My teen wanted to make coffee for herself yesterday. Put the disc in the coffee maker but it didn’t work so she called me. After I had a quick talk with her about why 14 year olds really shouldn’t be drinking coffee *insert Mom speech* – I reset the coffee maker – but we had a pod ready to go without a drinker (funny – the 14 year old didn’t want coffee after out little talk – Mom win).
Not much of a coffee drinker myself (I’m a tea addict) – I had to do something with the coffee.
Coffee Cake Muffins with brewed coffee
Makes 12 muffins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
You will need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 oil
Topping and middle:
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (you could make it 2 if you really like cinnamon)
- Make coffee — allow to cool to room temperature. NOTE: do not use hot coffee in this recipe as it won’t turn out well.)
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Mix well.
- Add in eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Mix.
- Add in room temperature coffee. Mix ’til there are no lumps.
- Grease muffin liners.
- Add a spoonful of batter to bottom of each muffin liner.
- Spoon a bit of brown sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of batter.
- Cover brown sugar/cinnamon mixture with batter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar/cinnamon mixture on top.(So you are layering — coffee cake batter — sugar/cinnamon in the middle — coffee cake batter — sugar/cinnamon on top)
- Once you have 12 muffins layered and ready to go – bake for 30 minutes (or until wooden toothpick comes out clean).
You could also take this recipe and make a 8×8 coffee cake. Using the same layering method for the coffee cake. Bake the 8×8 cake for 35-40 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
Both muffins and cakes freeze in airtight container well.
Related: BANANA BREAD RECIPE