This Microwave Homemade Applesauce Recipe is one of my favourites because it works for breakfast, school snacks, after-school snacks, and even dessert. BONUS: you can make homemade applesauce in your microwave in under 5 minutes! Using ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, you can make this recipe with (or without) the help of kids…
Note about working with kids in the kitchen:
It will take you double the time…no matter what…if kids “help“. When I have all the time in the world…I do the rough chop for this recipe…and take out a butter knife for my son…so he can cut the cut apples. He LOVES chopping and a butter knife allows him to develop his cutting skills safely. However, when I’m pressed for time…I make this recipe solo (because seriously…it takes 5 minutes by yourself…).
Ideas for this recipe
- Baby food
- school snack
- use in muffins (like my APPLESAUCE OATMEAL BLENDER MUFFINS BREAKFAST TO GO
- after-school snack
What I like about this recipe…is that I can make a batch, freeze them, and take them out when I’m running low on groceries (i.e. every Thursday of my life).
Microwave Homemade Applesauce Recipe
You will need:
- 3 apples (I use Gala apples)
- 1/4 cup water
- cinnamon (to taste)
- honey (optional)
- microwave safe bowl with lid
- cutting board + knife
- Wash apples. Keep skins (because there is lots of nutrients in apple skins).
- Cut apples into cubes.
- Discard apple cores.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water into microwave safe bowl. Add all of the cubed apples. Put lid on. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. WARNING: bowl will be HOT when you take it out of microwave.
- OPTIONAL: you can add a touch of honey at this point — if you like sweeter applesauce.
- Add in pinch (or pinches) of cinnamon to cooked apples. Stir to combine.
- Blend apples in batches in blender. I usually add a bit more water as I blend because I like a thinner applesauce myself. And don’t forget to add the cooking water from the apples – lots of great taste there as well. Blend until you have your desired applesauce consistency.
You could switch this recipe up by adding strawberries, pear, banana, or any other fruit. It is fast, healthy, and super easy. And you know I’m all about making life easier! 🙂