This Pear Cake Recipe is easy to make. And…um…did I mention…delish?! Inspired by a pear quickly turning too ripe for my liking…you can make Pear Cake Recipe in under an hour (about 10 min prep and then 35-40 min baking). This treat goes great as a dessert, afternoon-snack, or might I suggest…breakfast!
You could make this a kids in the kitchen opportunity and make this pear cake with your kids. Generally, I assign jobs to the kids so no one fights (for example: dry ingredient kid and wet ingredient kid). Baking as a family activity is one of my favourites because it encourages discussion along with hands-on entertainment.
Pear Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 oil (or butter or margarine)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pear (peeled and sliced)
- coarse sugar (to sprinkle over top)
- optional: 2 tsp dark chocolate spread
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure and pour dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt) into a large mixing bowl. Blend well.
- Add in liquid ingredients (eggs, oil, milk, vanilla). Mix at high speed until there are no lumps.
- Grease 9 inch round baking pan.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Optional: drop dark chocolate spread into pan here and there.
- Wash, peel, and slice pear (I used a Bartlett pear but you could use any kind).
- Place pear pieces on top of batter (the cake will bake around it).
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Another cake I should shamelessly recommend is my TRIPLE BATCH CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE. So good! And it makes 3 loaves so you can enjoy one today and freeze the other two for later.