This is a great Boredom Buster for big kids – Recycle Upcycle Glass Jars. From glass salad dressing jars to glass jam jars – this project turns something meant for the recycling box and upcycles it. My big kids were all over the Recycle Upcycle Glass Jar Idea…
Uses for Recycle Upcycle Glass Jars
- desk organizer
- flower vase
- pencil holder
- hair tie organizer
- idea jar for Boredom Busters
- flower pot
Recycle Upcycle Glass Jars
What you will need:
- Glass jars (salad dressing jars, jam jars, bottles…)
- Spray paint (I opted for silver but gold would look funky)
- Clean and dry glass jars.
- Go outside.
- Put newspaper on a flat surface
- Lay glass jars opening-side-down on newspaper (this is so that the paint can drip down the sides should there be extra paint).
- Put glass jar tops down on the newspaper.
- Check which way the wind is blowing (important because you don’t want the wind to blow spray paint back on your clothes)
- Follow the spray paint directions (mine said: shake paint can, hold it 3-4 inches away from what you want painted, and spray).
- Spray the glass jars from side to side and top to bottom.
- Spray the glass jar lids from side to side and top to bottom.
- Allow recycle upcycle glass jars to dry.
- Once dry, put lids back on (if you choose – they look nice without lids too)
And of course, remember that spray paint is – in fact – toxic. So you do want to do this activity outside where there is lots of fresh air (no breathing in spray paint thank you very much). And this is a big kid activity. Pssst…older kids will also enjoy my How To: Sock Bun tutorial.
For younger kids I suggest making an Outdoor Scavenger Hunt For Kids (always a hit!).
TRIVIA: this project almost made it into my Boredom Busters book. The reason why it didn’t make the cut? I had more Boredom Busters than pages!