This easy How To: Sock Bun is a photo step-by-step DIY on creating this popular hair style in minutes. Really. Minutes. From quick up-do for Mom to a fancy (yet easy) hair do for a tween or little girl (think: birthday party or wedding) – there is a reason the sock bun is a growing hair trend…it’s fuss-free!
Oh…and I know most hair accessory places sell versions of sock buns…but you can so easily (and frugally) do it yourself for FREE!
It’s starts with a sock (tip…you know all those unmatched socks at the bottom of your laundry basket?…yes, those…we all have them…darn laundry fairies borrow socks just so that you have a village of unmatched socks in the bottom of your laundry basket…well, use one of those – it’s free – and will most likely…never…ever…thanks to the laundry fairies…be re-matched with its partner).
How To: Sock Bun
You will need:
- 1 Sock
- 2 Elastics
- Bobby pins (also known as hair pins)
1. Using scissors, cut the “toe” end of the sock
2. Next roll the “toe end” of the sock into itself over and over again.
3. Roll the sock into itself until it looks like a donut or very large letter “O”.
By the way, like DIY and fashion?! You gotta read my DIY: Transform Scarf Into Vest
4. Next, fasten hair into a pony tail. A pony tail at the top of the head creates a crown-like sock bun. Whereas a pony tail at the back of the head creates more of a ballerina type sock bun up do. Your choice.
5. Thread the sock bun through your pony tail to where the elastic is holding your hair. Working from the outside in, roll, stick, and push the ends of your hair underneath the sock bun. Top, bottom, left and right. Fasten another elastic over-top of the bun to hold the bun.
6. We used a pink elastic to show where the 2nd elastic should be placed but normally a brown elastic is put there (hides better in brown hair). Secure the bun in place with bobby pins (thus hiding that 2nd elastic). Add in some glittery hair fasteners or pins for special occasions.
There you have it. In less than 5 minutes you can DIY a sock bun into a fab hair updo. My tween girls LOVE this hair style!