Did you know you can make your own Homemade Vanilla Extract using only two ingredients?! I’ve made Homemade Vanilla Extract in the past and given them as gifts at the holidays. It’s super easy (and way cheaper than store-bought real vanilla extract).
Ingredients for Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 6 Vanilla beans (available at bulk food stores and grocery stores. They usually come in glass or plastic bottles)
- 1 cup (250 ml) of Vodka (80 proof – you can also substitute with bourbon. And you don’t need expensive alcohol – the least expensive bottle works). Do not use flavoured vodka.
It takes 6-12 months for the homemade vanilla extract to achieve best flavour. And it really takes minutes to make. So make a couple of batches. Put them in your pantry. And let them sit. It will be so worth it!
You will also need:
- Cutting board + knife
- Glass bottle (I used mason jars when I made Vanilla Extract)
- Slit the vanilla beans down the middle (lengthwise). If the beans don’t fit in your jar it’s ok to cut it down to smaller pieces. Put the vanilla beans in your jar.
- Using a funnel pour 1 cup (250 ml) of vodka over the vanilla beans so they are completely covered.
- Store vanilla out of direct sunlight and at room temperature (your pantry works great).
- Shake vanilla every couple of weeks.
Once the vanilla is “aged” you can refill the bottle with vodka to replenish. Or you can take the vanilla beans out and re-use for another batch of homemade vanilla extract.
RELATED: you could use this to add a boost of flavour to my banana bread recipe
Make the vanilla this month and next Christmas you have homemade jars of vanilla to gift to friends and family. It would also make a great hostess gift.
Follow me on Instagram @ParentClub for more ideas!