And here we are…the the edge of summer…and I have 10 Summer Fun Ideas For Families. And yes, some of these might be summer fun ideas for kids-only (but they benefit the whole family because you can get a few work emails done while they have fun).
10 Summer Fun Ideas For Families
- Get outside. From a walk to the playground to soccer in the backyard to a day at the beach. Get outside! It’s free. It’s fun. It’s for everyone.
- Summer reading. Whether a trip to the bookstore, public library, or little free library…a summer reading list is fun for the whole family. Read together (family time), read side by side (it’s role modeling), and read on your own at bedtime. It’s a great way to chill out, learn, explore, discover…in a book.
- 15 Activity and School Break Theme Day Ideas for Kids. Theme days break the routine but can also give you structure in your plans. Especially if you aren’t doing camp for your kids. And activity theme will plan out your week with ease.
- Arts n’ crafts. I have written hundreds of arts n’ crafts boredom busters over the years (here on Parent Club, in my books, on other websites). My next art activity is going to be an acrylic paint pour with my kids. Stay tuned on a how-to post for that.
- Visit attractions. We just bought a zoo membership this year (it’s a great way to walk outside, discover, take advantage of the summer weather). Look into family memberships to attractions in your city because they often pay for themselves in 2 visits and have other discount benefits.
- Host a play date. Sometimes the best way to have fun is to have a friend over.
- Book a summer trip. Maybe it’s a special day out. Or a weekend getaway. Or a week away. Whatever it is…put it on the calendar so everyone has something special to look forward to.
- Ice cream. Or if you are lactose intolerant…some other summer treat. 🙂
- On-the-go games. Car bingo. Scavenger Hunt. Crayons & paper. Have some go-to on-the-go games at the ready.
- Naturally nature. Circling back to #1 “get outside” – #10 is get back to nature. Go for a hike. Stop to look at a tree. Clean plastic up at the park. Plant a garden.
PARENT CLUB TIP: you can do these summer activity ideas separately or in combination!
SHARE: What are your recommendations for Summer Fun Ideas For Families?…