Get ready for a Lighter-than-Air-Cheesecake No Bake Recipe plus Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre® system. Freestyle what – you might ask? Read on as I will be sharing information about Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre® system (something that will change the lives of people living with diabetes), my afternoon with Three-Michelin-star Chef Alvin Leung, and a fab no bake cheesecake recipe…
Note: This post is in partnership with Abbott. All opinions are my own. Recipe is courtesy of Abbott and Chef Leung.
My afternoon with a Master Chef and Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre® system
Three-Michelin-star Chef Alvin Leung (aka “the demon chef’) is a master chef…and a person living with diabetes (I had no idea). I spent an afternoon with him in a hands-on cooking class in Toronto’s St. Lawrence Market Kitchen.
In this class, Chef Leung shared tips on healthy eating and low sugar cooking — something that is not only important to people living with diabetes but to all of us. The no bake cheesecake recipe below works for anyone looking for low sugar recipes, healthy recipes, and portion control recipes.
Chef also shared how the FreeStyle Libre system helps to manage his diabetes. Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre flash glucose monitoring system eliminates the need for routine fingerpricks and is now being used globally by more than 1.3 million people living with diabetes. Chef Leung discretely wore the sensor under his t-shirt…but was more than comfortable to lift his sleeve and show how he can monitor his glucose levels without the need for a fingerprick. (See photo below).
Lighter-than-Air-Cheesecake No Bake Recipe
This cheesecake recipe is low sugar. Easy. And portion controlled.
You will need:
- 8 oz low fat cream cheese
- 8 oz fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 packets) sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 gelatin sheets (dissolved in orange juice).
- 4 oz sugar free jam
- 4 oz sliced fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 4 mason jars
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup margarine at room temp
- 1/4 cup dried apricots (finely chopped)
Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cream cheese mixture: combine cream cheese, orange juice (with gelatin dissolved in it), sugar, vanilla, lemon in a large bowl until creamy. Set aside.
- Mix crust crumble: flour, salt, baking powder in large bowl. Add margarine and work until dry mixture is pea-sized lumps. Add oats and dried apricots and mix. Chill for 30 minutes in fridge.
- Transfer crumble mixture to parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Rotate tray and continue to cook for 8 more minutes (until the crumble is a golden brown). Let cool.
- Place mason jars on table. Layer crumble, cream cheese mixture, fruit & jam and repeat as you like it. Cover mason jars with lids.
- Chill 30 minutes before serving.
About Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre® system
Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre® system is designed to change how people living with diabetes measure their glucose levels and ultimately help them achieve better health outcomes. The system reads glucose levels through a sensor that can be worn on the back of the upper arm for up to 14 days, eliminating the need for finger pricks.
Flash glucose monitoring is an innovative technology that automatically measures, captures and stores glucose level data so that patients and their doctors can see patterns over time and
make adjustments to lifestyle, diet or treatment, when needed.
To learn more about the FreeStyle Libre system, visit www.myfreestyle.ca.