Bookmark this Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup – Gluten-free Recipe because it is an easy, kid-friendly, recipe to warm you up. Imagine it: put the ingredients in your slow cooker, go about your busy day, and when you get home you have a healthy, homemade soup waiting for you! It’s pure comfort food. Here’s how to make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup…
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup – Gluten-free
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken thights
- 1 carton of chicken broth
- 1 large carrot (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 large parsnip (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup water + 1 tbsp of gluten-free flour* + 1 tbsp Greek seasoning** mixed together (to thicken)
- salt + pepper (to taste)
- Vermicelli rice noodles (you won’t need these until the end of cooking)
- 1/2 lemon (you won’t need this until the end of cooking)
*You can use any kind of flour for this recipe. However, if you are on a Gluten-free diet — use a gluten-free flour
**A few readers have asked “What is Greek seasoning?” in the comments and social media – it’s a spice blend. The brand I have is: “Club House Greek Signature Spice Blend”. Look for it in the spice aisle of your grocery store. 😉
RELATED: another winter warm up dish: GRATIN DAUPHINOIS – AWESOME SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE
- Cut and peel carrot and parsnip. Put in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Mix together water, flour, and Greek seasoning (I mixed it all in my measuring cup).
- Mix broth and flour/water mixture to combine well.
- Add in chicken thighs (wash your hands with soap and water afterwards). The chicken thighs should be just submerged under liquid.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Set to cook LOW for 8 hours.
- At the end of cooking (I did this around the 7 3/4 mark) take out chicken and shred it. It will be very tender and should almost fall apart on it’s own. Return all the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- Then, squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
- Finally, add in rice noodles* (I used vermicelli rice noodles but you can use whatever rice noodle you have on hand).
- Allow the slow cooker to continue cooking on LOW for another 15 minutes. Then, it will be done.
*rice noodles: It’s hard to advise measurement of rice noodles because my package had “bales” of noodles. I used half a bale; cutting them into pieces so be bite size. I opted to go less on rice noodle quantity to retain the soup consistency. Otherwise, you would have a hearty rice noodle/chicken bowl (which wouldn’t be bad either).