Did I have you at dark chocolate?! I made a batch of Gluten-free Cranberry Dark Chocolate Granola Bars last week and have been a very happy snacker ever since. This recipe is fairly straight forward and bakes in 30 minutes. To make a school-safe (nut-free) version – just omit the sliced almonds. Ok friends, here’s how to make Gluten-free Cranberry Dark Chocolate Granola Bars…
I am a grazer (someone who eats a bunch of little meals throughout the day). So I’m never super hungry but I’m also never super full. However, I find that around 4pm I get a big case of the munchies. This is when I find a hearty granola bar like this one…packed with oats and dried fruit and that hit of chocolate I crave…hits the spot so well.
Because this version has sliced almonds (which are yummy) I, of course, do not send these to school with my kids. Nor do I take them out with me as a snack. I tend to keep nut things at home in empathy of people with allergies. I once saw a caregiver bring nutella sandwiches to a park for her kids and I thought “Nutella = nuts”. And no, she did not wash the kids hands between eating and them going back on the play structure. Can’t nut oils transfer from hands to surfaces? Perhaps they can’t and I overreact about snacks with nuts.
Gluten-free Cranberry Dark Chocolate Granola Bars
You will need:
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 sliced almonds (omit if you want a nut-free version)
- 2 cups quick rolled oats
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I use Robin Hood brand)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of Becel margarine
Related: if you do want a school safe – homemade snack – I recommend my MICROWAVE HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE RECIPE
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Chop up dried cranberries and dark chocolate. Set aside.
- In large bowl mix together oats, flour, baking soda, and pinch of salt.
- Add in maple syrup, egg and margarine.
- Mix well until you have a crumbly mixture. It should clump together.
- Then, add in dried cranberries, dark chocolate, coconut, and almonds.
- Mix until combined.
- Spray an 8×8 pan with vegetable oil (or you could you could butter it).
- Spoon granola mixture into pan. Pack down so it’s flat on top.
- Bake for 30 min in the 375 oven.
- Cut while warm.
- Keeps us to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
These Gluten-free Cranberry Dark Chocolate Granola Bars are good as a snack or crumbled up into yogurt. It is a drier granola bar (add more margarine if you prefer a moister granola bar).