I invented this Berry Burst Coffee Cake Recipe the other day using some berries I had in the freezer. It was such a HIT! I’m sharing this recipe and recommend it not only as a coffee cake suggestion – but a healthy breakfast idea! Give this Berry Burst Coffee Cake Recipe a try…
You will remember I used Qi’a in my Healthy Muffins Chocolate Blueberry Qi’a (proof that muffin recipe was kid-friendly – my son ate four the day I made those “healthy” muffins!). Well, I decided to go all adventurous and add Qi’a to this Berry Burst Coffee Cake Recipe (I live dangerously like that). Adding a bit of healthy fibre to baking is always a good thing n’est pas?! And it worked in this recipe.
Moist, yummy, and well combined – this Berry Burst Coffee Cake Recipe kinda has it all (fruit, fibre, and flavour!). Easy enough to make with kids too (as all my recipes are!).
- 2 tbsp Qi’a
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- splash of vanilla
- 2 cups of frozen mixed berries
- Pre-heat oven to 350C.
- In a small bowl combine Qi’a and milk. Allow to soak for 5 min.
- In mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Mix well. Add in eggs, milk, oil, vanilla. Mix well.
- Then add in Qi’a mixture to mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Spray 9×13 baking pan.
- Pour cake mixture into baking pan.
- Sprinkle 2 cups over top of cake. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar over frozen berries.
- Bake in pre-heated oven 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
As you can see – the berries go deep in this coffee cake. If you prefer just to have the berries at the top of your cake then reduce the berries by 1/2. It works really well as a quick grab n’ go breakfast or school lunch snack. However, I must warn you – it’s tough to stop at one slice 😉
Baking is a weekly activity chez moi (good for the soul and fills the fridge). So if ever you need an Easy Coffee Cake Recipe or Madeleines Recipe – Recette Madeleines or even Granola Breakfast Muffins – I’ve got them.
Share – what is your favourite kind of baking?…