Easy and really great…this Gifts Kids Can Make – Easy No-Sew Fleece Hat is a must-try! This activity is good for kids aged 7+ (for older kids…I do have a more complex version of a No-Sew Fleece Hat coming in December). This one is simple and straightforward. And the knotting is a little addictive…you might be making lots of these 😉
You will need:
- Polar fleece (available at fabric stores. 1/2 a yard cost me $4.00)
- Measuring tape
- Hat (one which already fits is best)
- Fold over polar fleece (so that you have 2 layers). The fold should be at the top – because this is the top of your hat.
- Lay a hat (which already fits) on top of your polar fleece. Measure 2 inches from the widest part of the hat (usually the brim). Cut a square around the hat two inches bigger than the brim of the hat.
- Next measure 2 inches in (every inch or so) along the left and right of the hat.
- Using scissors, cut 2 inches in along the left and right of the hat.
- Next, take the top layer of polar fleece and double knot it with the bottom layer of polar fleece (match up the 2 inch cuts).
- Knot up and down the left and right sides of the hat.
- Done (yes, it’s THAT easy)
This “One size fits all” hat was a good fit for both my toddler and tween (though admittedly – they both have very big heads). My daughter had a fab time helping me measure and cut. And she overtook the knotting completely! This easy no-sew fleece hat activity is kid tested and kid approved!
A great gift to kid to Dad, Mom, Grandparents, or even the teacher (remember – they need hats for recess duty!).
You might also be interested in Gifts Kids Can Make – Snowman Handprints a huge hit with readers (and my own kids!).