This How to Make a Paper-Mâché Piggy Bank is an easy craft for kids. Using things your already have around your home you can make a Paper-Mâché Piggy Bank in an afternoon!
Tips about working Paper-Mâché
- Cover your surface with news paper, art mat or vinyl table cloth before starting
- The newspaper + glue can stick to hands (you might want to have a bowl of water + towel near by for cleaning hands)
- Balloons can roll around on surfaces. You might want to put it in a bowl to keep it stable while you cover with newspaper
Did you know? Banks in the shape of a pig first appeared in Europe around the 1400s. Most of these banks were made out of ceramic or porcelain. The Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids, Volume 8 teaches how to make a piggy bank using regular household items.
How to Make a Paper-Mâché Piggy Bank
SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 balloon
- 1 paper towel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- Paint and paintbrushes
- Stickers (optional)
- The balloon is your mold. Blow it up to your desired piggy bank size.
- Cut the paper towel roll into five pieces to serve as the feet and snout. Tape the feet and snout to the balloon.
- Cut ears out of the cardboard. Tape them to your piggy bank’s head.
- Tear newspaper into strips 1 to 2 inches wide and in a variety of lengths.
- In the bowl, combine the flour and water. Stir to make a smooth paste.
- Dip one strip of newspaper into the paste, coating it thoroughly. Hold the strip between two fingers of one hand and, with the other hand, pull it through your fingers to remove the excess paste.
- Lay the strip on the mold. Gently smooth in place. Repeat, overlapping the strips and laying them in different directions. When the balloon is covered, and each time you add layers, set it aside to dry thoroughly and put a cover on the paste. Repeat the process until you are satisfied. (We recommend at least four layers.)
- When completely dry, cut a slot in the top of the pig. This will pop the balloon. Remove the balloon through the slot. Paint or decorate your piggy bank.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ: 25 SUMMER ACTIVITIES TO DO WITH KIDS WHILE YOU ARE SELF-DISTANCING
Enter for a chance to WIN a copy of The Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids Volume 8 (available in stores now).