Sometimes you just have to get away. Here are the Top 10 weekend getaways from Toronto for families. The criteria to make the list: has to be budget friendly, family fun, with easy dining options nearby. Which of these Top 10 weekend getaways from Toronto for families do you have on your bucket list?…
Top 10 weekend getaways from Toronto for families
1. Great Wolf Lodge, Niagara Falls, Ontario. Waterpark, pools, spa, restaurants on location, show at night, themed rooms for the family…Great Wolf Lodge is a no brainer family getaway. You don’t have to plan activities at all…they plan it all for you. Related: HOW TO HAVE MORE FUN FOR LESS AT GREAT WOLF LODGE
2. Niagara Falls, Ontario. You can visit the Falls, walk up and down Cliffton Hill to see the outrageous museums, ride the maid of the mist ferry. And there are a ton of restaurants and hotels (we like Embassy Suites because it comfortably sleeps our family of 5 plus it’s walking distance to the Falls).
3. Muskoka, Ontario. You can rent a cottage or stay in an airbnb. Or reserve at Deerhurst resort, Horseshoe resort, Clevelands House (the latter all offering lakeside activities, restaruants, and more).
4. Blue Mountain, Collingwood, Ontario. Whether it be ski season or green season…there is always something to do at Blue Mountain. Restaurants of all kinds in the village as well as non-ski activities like ropes course and coaster. Related: FAMILY ADVENTURE AT BLUE MOUNTAIN
5. Kingston, Ontario. We always visit Fort Henry when we visit Kingston (to get our national historic site buzz). And yes, it’s a great tour for families. Very interactive. Kingston is a pretty little city with lots of greenspace to roam.
PARENT CLUB TIP: research a city’s tourism page to find things to do/where to eat for weekend getaways
6. Ottawa, Ontario. Tour the Parliament building (free!). Take the aquabus tour of the city (it’s pretty neat to go from riding on streets into the water without getting off the bus). Plus, the number of museums in Ottawa that are spectacular are too many! Canadian Museum of History is my favourite.
7. Elora, Ontario. It’s about swimming at the Elora Gorge. I went when I was a kid and it was AMAZING. It’s not like swimming in a pool nor swimming in a lake. You gotta do it.
8. Port Dover, Ontario. OK, maybe don’t go when it’s the Friday the 13th (that’s the big motorcycle drive…which isn’t anti-family…it’s just super crowded!). Port Dover is a cute little town with a beach which will keep you busy all day. Related: 5 TIPS FOR VISITING NORFOLK COUNTY, ONTARIO
9. Vaughn, Ontario. Where to start in Vaughn? Canada’s Wonderland? THE amusement park in Ontario. Or Vaughn Mills Mall (which is a great destination on a cold or rainy day).
10. Toronto, Ontario. Ok – tricked you here. Save the road trip and be a tourist in your on city. Go to the Ontario Science Centre. Check out the beach. Head over to Centre Island for the day. Related: 5 FAMILY THINGS TO DO IN TORONTO TIPS