3 ingredient recipe! How to Dry Cook Chicken in the Slow Cooker. Learn how to dry cook a whole chicken in your slow cooker using just three ingredients. This recipe is a life saver for hot summer days when you don’t want to turn on the oven. Or for those crazy dinner nights when you have to get your kids to soccer practice and don’t have time to pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store. Here’s How to Dry Cook Chicken in the Slow Cooker…
How to Dry Cook Chicken in the Slow Cooker
I know many of you love your pressure cookers. However, for the slow cooker fans — this is a go to recipe for a no-fuss cooked whole chicken. I made this yesterday, in between working from home and getting out the door for a soccer game. It was bliss to come home to a homemade dinner. And if you are budget conscious — the chicken cost only $8.
You will need:
- Slow cooker
- whole chicken
- onion (substitute for this below)
- spicesSubstitute for onion:
Substitute for onion:
The onion is needed to lift the chicken off the bottom of the slow cooker (otherwise the c
hicken will boil in the chicken juices). If you don’t have an onion (or just plain ol’ don’t like onions). You can coil a piece of aluminum foil into an @ shape (yes, really — coil the aluminum foil into an @ shape). Or you could try very thick carrots cut into stump-like pillars.
- Plug in slow cooker
- Peel onion and cut in half. Place the two halves in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pat whole chicken dry with paper towel.
- Place whole chicken on top of onion halves.
- Add spices to chicken. Spices could be season salt, herbs du provence, salt & pepper, pepper & lemon zest, chicken seasoning, etc – whatever is your choice).
- Turn slow cooker on to high 4 hours (or low 6 hours).
Suggested side dish: EASY RICE SALAD
Now the dry cooked slow cooker chicken does not have a crispy skin (but boy is it juicy!). If you would like a crispy skin…broil it in the oven for 2-3 minutes (or until desired crispness).