These Tips for Protecting and Preserving Granite and Other Natural Stone will help maintain your kitchen and bath counter tops. I am deep in research mode for a kitchen reno and I’m learning so much about granite, marble, travertine and other natural-stone and quartz surfaces.
For one thing, did you know that natural stone isn’t resistant to wear and tear, and still requires correct and regular care and maintenance? TRUE. And when you consider the value of natural stone (not only in terms of price but also the value to your life…you use them every single day) it is certainly something you want to preserve.
Tips for Protecting and Preserving Granite and Other Natural Stone
- Don’t use everyday common cleaners (they can cause damage to your natural stone)
- Use cleaning products which are safe on natural-stone and quartz (protect protect protect)
- Ensure your cleaning products are safe on food prep surfaces (think: health)
- Always use non-toxic and non-acidic products (especially with kids and pets in the house)
- Choose biodegradable products (because earth-friendly is important)
- Clean often, seal frequently and polish regularly (and you’ll have them forever)
Basic three-step process
- Clean. Even if your surface appears clean, the safest bet is to clean it daily and after every meal preparation.
- Seal. Frequently sealing granite countertops and all other natural stone surfaces maintains maximum surface protection, penetrating stone surfaces to provide superior, long-lasting resistance to staining, etching and soil build-up.
- Polish. Polishing stone provides two great benefits. First, polishing after cleaning will bring out stone’s natural beauty. Secondly, it will reinforce the protective seal and provide ongoing protection against water spots and fingerprints.
Granite Gold Daily Cleaner® safely deep-cleans granite, marble, travertine and all other natural-stone and quartz surfaces while Granite Gold Sealer® creates a barrier to protect the stone. Frequent use of the water-based stone sealer maintains maximum surface protection against staining, etching and soil build-up. Lastly, Granite Gold Polish® enhances the shine and luster of your natural stone surfaces while also providing ongoing protection. It is also important to know that most common household cleaners can cause damage to natural stone surfaces, leading to costly repair.
Granite Gold® products are available at Bed Bath & Beyond, Winner’s, Home Sense, Amazon.ca and GraniteGold.ca. Use the Store Locator to find a location near you.
Your natural stone is the center piece of your kitchen and bath. With a little care, these timeless pieces will serve you and your family for years to come. And of course, for resale value, natural stone is a often a must-have with potential home buyers.
Me? I know I’m only going to do this kitchen renovation once so I’m choosing elements which I love, are durable, and are simply practical in every sense.
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Granite Gold. Opinions are my own.