From kids’ birthday parties to formal get together (think holidays!) I am a planner. Yes, I admit to writing notes and making a party checklist to ensure I don’t forget a thing. And this is where I share my Party Planning Tips. Tried. True. And shared here with you to make life a little easier…
Isn’t that train cake fabulous?! I made it for my son’s last birthday. Party Planning Tip #1 – give yourself permission to make your life easier. A frosted, double layer, exquisitely decorated cake might have made June Cleaver proud but do I really need to do that to have a great party?! Nope. Boxed cake mix + chocolate pudding + Wilton train cake mold + royal icing + smarties + licorice for tracks. AND I let my three kids decorate the cake themselves the day of the party (kid activity + giving Mom one less thing to do!). So what if you take a short cut in party prep – will anyone but you know?!
Party Planning Tip #2 – make a party planning checklist. I do (and it really helps you keep party organized).
2 Weeks Before
- Set date
- Invite guests
- Set theme (birthday, weekend bbq, holiday meal or wine & cheese)
- Confirm r.s.v.p’s
- Set the menu (be mindful of your guests food sensitivities and food likes and dislikes)
- Grocery shop for party food (bonus points if you can incorporate make ahead foods)
Day Before Party
- Make any foods ahead if you can (ideas?…Cheese & Broccoli Strata, Sparkling Raspberry-Lemon Tea,Spaghetti Pie Recipe (you can make my Spaghetti Pie weeks in advance and freeze) or this Parent Club reader favourite Slow Cooker Mac N’ Cheese
- Prep party area (clean surfaces, vaccuum, tidy up)
- Clean bathrooms (June Cleaver would)
- Hide toys (everyone does)
- Prep food
- Decorate party area (table cloth, napkins)
- Run the dishwasher (and then empty the dishwasher!)
- Put out the dinnerware (plates, cups, forks, knives, spoons, serving spoons)
And add a signature “something” which makes for an unforgettable party…my suggestion…
And that Kidtinis Mocktail Recipe is a huge hit. Every. Single. Party.
And don’t forget that a smudge-proof kitchen makes life easier…
Disclosure: I am part of the Frigidaire Canada Ambassador program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own
With their patented Smudge-Proof™ Stainless Steel finish, Frigidaire Gallery® and Frigidaire Professional® stainless-steel appliances have a new anti-smudge technology that resists those little fingerprints and is easier to clean than traditional stainless steel surfaces.
Smudge-Proof™ Stainless Steel is available on all Frigidaire Gallery® and Frigidaire Professional® products – see the collection here:http://www.frigidairekitchen.
The How: How does the technology work? Frigidaire® uses high-grade stainless steel coated with layers of polymers, resulting in a sleek, beautiful stainless steel finish that is both durable and resistant to fingerprints. As a result, homeowners can have the look of stainless steel without the traditional maintenance typically experienced with standard stainless steel.