12 Eco-friendly Alternative Christmas Cracker Ideas. From small burlap bags to nesting dolls – eco-friendly Christmas crackers.
You can DIY Christmas crackers using re-usable things (and things you most likely already have around the house!).
Eco-Friendly Christmas Crackers
My family LOVES Christmas crackers. But this year I realized the expense and waste of Christmas crackers. They are usually filled with junk stuff that gets looked at once and then pitched the next day.
Plus so much waste. The packaging of the box. The cracker paper. The cardboard roll. It all gets recycled but none of it is reusable really.
So this year…I’m going to try making eco-friendly Christmas crackers. And when I brainstorm it…I think I can do it by using stuff I already have around my house!
12 Eco-friendly Alternative Christmas Cracker Ideas
- 1.Small burlap bag
- 2.DIY Christmas crackers
- 3.Red envelopes
- 4.Cloth napkins
- 5.Small gift box
- 6.Small glass jars
- 7.Mini Christmas stocking
- 8.Mini Santa hat
- 9.Christmas handkerchief
- 10.Nesting dolls
- 11.Paper bag
- 12.Green envelopes
You can decorate your DIY Christmas crackers by using red and white twine, stickers, red, white, green markers, felt snowflakes, felt snowman, felt Santa hats and more.
I especially like the nesting dolls idea if you have a small family. One nesting doll for each member of the family. You can reuse them for YEARS!
Things to put in Eco-friendly Christmas Crackers
- Jokes (easily found on the internet)
- Dice (roll doubles to get first pick for dessert!)
- Paper crown
- Orange (something about oranges and clementine’s make me think of Christmas)
- Riddles (again, easily found on internet)
- Mini-puzzle (could be a brain teaser)
- Christmas escape room challenges (and then you can play after dinner!)
- Conversation starters (best holiday memory for example)
- Mini-tree ornaments (then they become souvenirs too)
- Mini-candy canes