I was baking without a recipe when I made these Applesauce Bran Muffins. See, I’m on the hunt to try to get more fruit & fiber into my kids’ diets…sadly, 2 out of my 3 kids are super picky eaters and fruit isn’t their go-to. I’m trying to chance that my offering a rainbow of fruit and some healthy homemade snacks like these Applesauce Bran Muffins which work great for grab n’ go breakfast or afternoon snack. And they turned out moist & delicious…
Applesauce Bran Muffins
- 2 snack size containers unsweeted applesauce
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1/4 white sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 oil
- cinnamon sugar to sprinkle (combine brown sugar and cinnamon)
- bran cereal (what kind of bran cereal looks like little sticks? it’s that one which I used)
Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix unsweetened apple sauce and oats together in large bowl.
- Add in dry ingredients.
- Add in wet ingredients.
- Mix (until not lumpy).
- Spray muffin pan (I use silicone liners but I still spray them).
- Scoop muffin batter into liners (I use an ice cream scoop and it is the perfect measurement).
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar and bran cereal on top (to taste).
Bake for 22-25 minutes. Makes 18 muffins.
I happen to LOVE eating a homemade muffin for breakfast (better than cold cereal or something hot like bacon and eggs). Homemade muffins are light but hearty. You can fill them with healthy ingredients (like flax seed and unsweetened applesauce) to boost your diet. And what can I say…baking muffins is one of my favourite hobbies (it’s a practical hobby at that).
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast ideas I suggest…GRANOLA BREAKFAST MUFFINS
Or you could adjust this BASIC MUFFIN MIX RECIPE to include your favourite fruits…