These 20 Travel Activities To Keep Kids Busy are kid-tested (and parent approved) ways to bust boredom when your kids have to sit in one spot during travel. From airplanes to cars to buses kids can get restless being stuck in their seats so check out these ideas on keeping kids busy while you travel…
20 Travel Activities To Keep Kids Busy
- Movies. I know – we so often look for screen-free entertainment for our kids. But during travel – it’s ok to break the rules for a bit right? Airplanes have screens right in the seats. And tablets are easy to back in your bag. Personally, I go the portable dvd route for car rides (more equipment I know – but when the movie is over I can easily say “that’s it”).
- Travel bingo. Engaging. Focused. You can make up your own sheets easily (Word has a FREE Bingo template you can customize)
- Books. As long as your kids don’t get car sick.
- Cookie sheet. Sounds crazy but cookie sheets are great travel desks. Flat. Easy to store.
- Cars. Kids can drive them around the cookie sheets.
- Empty Altoids container and magnets. The magnets will stick to the altoids container. Plus, it’s storage. For older kids, you can get magnet words to make stories.
- Pencil cases. Great for organizing small play stuff (like mini figures).
- Activity ziplock bags. Bring out a different ziplock bag for every hour you travel.
- Colouring pages and markers. see activity ziplock bags – also works with cookie sheet travel desk.
- Foam shapes. Pop them in. Pop them out.
- Drawing boards. not sponsored – my kids love boogie boards and I recommend.
- Slinky. again not sponsored – just a good have-in-your-hands toy
- Puzzle. e.g. rubik’s cube
- Story dice. or picture dice where the kids can invent stories – again works with cookie sheet desk
- Snacks. Because snacks kill time.
- Mini figures. I always have a few in my bag as kid boredom busters.
- Hand puppets. Make your own with socks.
- Music. From Wheels on the Bus to Justin Beiber to DJ Snack and Lil Jon music entertains the masses.
- Eye spy. Gets you looking out the window.
- Animal figures. From dinosaurs to little pets – open play is good for travel.
Related: SCREEN FREE TRAVEL ACTIVITIES
Of these 20 Travel Activities To Keep Kids Busy – I have actually used all 20. So trust me, these will help make family travel easier!