This was almost a litterless school lunch ideas post…but then I realized…I slip up once in a while…sometimes an occasional yogurt container or juice box gets packed; contributing to this Almost Litterless School Lunch Ideas post. Before you think me un-pin-worthy…take a look…we can strive for littlerless lunches…and then forgive the occasional slip. These school lunch tips might make your life easier…
Almost Litterless School Lunch Ideas…
- Open pre-packaged snacks and pop them in reusable containers. Keep the trash at home.
- Use a stainless steel refillable bottle for water.
- Use easy to open resuable containers.
- Use silicone muffin cups as dividers in lunch boxes. It turns regular containers into Bento boxes without the fancy cost.
- Encourage kids to bring home containers (if they aren’t home you can’t pack them)
- Use compost, recycling, and garbage containers in your home to direct litter to the right place.
Also, I think it’s important to mix up your littlerless lunches. Switch up your fruits, veggies, dairy, and protein. Offer a choice of healthy foods.
Total aside: my son hates sandwiches. They boomerang back home every single time I send a sandwich for school lunch. So instead, he gets crackers & protein. Or a wrap. Proving sometimes you have to think outside the sandwich for school lunch ideas.
And yes, sometimes I slip. I’m sure June Cleaver would have sent a yogurt container once in a while…if they had yogurt containers back in Beaver’s day.