When I’m hosting a large group, I often make my Macaroni and Cheese Recipe. It’s an easy homemade mac which can be done and served same day or makes for a great freezer meal idea.
Every macaroni and cheese recipe needs a good cheese sauce and I always use my Béchamel Sauce Recipe. Don’t be afraid…homemade cheese sauce is actually quite easy.
TIP: add an extra layer of texture and flavour by adding bread crumbs to this macaroni and cheese recipe. Make homemade bread crumbs by toasting two slices of Dempster’s healthy bread slices. Once cooled tear up bread crumbs and then put them in your food chopper. Just chop the toast until it is your desired texture.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (900 g) of elbow macaroni
- 1 large block (about 400 g) of cheddar cheese (grated)
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Béchamel Sauce (recipe available at www.parentclub.ca)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni according to directions.
- When cooked to al dente (cooked firm to the bite) drain water. Rinse.
- Prepare the Béchamel Sauce.
- Add 1/2 of the block of grated cheddar cheese into the Béchamel Sauce. Stir to incorporate. Add in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- Pour cooked elbow macaroni into a 9×13 dish (I do not grease it). Pour cheese sauce on top of cooked macaroni. Use a spoon to mix well.
- On top of cheese/macaroni mixture sprinkle remaining grated cheddar cheese. On top of grated cheese sprinkle bread crumbs. Then, top bread crumbs with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Aside: I do have a Slow Cooker Mac N’ Cheese recipe (great for when you oven is full and/or you need a crock pot recipe).
Dempster’s Healthy Breads (the 100% whole grain has a mellow flavour and smooth texture which would go well with this macaroni and cheese recipe OR you super up your mac n’ cheese with Dempster’s Super Grains with flax, quinoa and chia providing a distinct roasted flavour). My kids are all about texture (or actually all about lack of texture – they prefer smooth over crunchy) so I really like that texture mentions are included in the Dempster’s Healthy Breads packaging.
I’m going to have to tweet @Dempsters my macaroni and cheese recipe because I think they should know about the goodness they bring to this family meal. It is such a comfort food over the winter holidays.Disclosure: This post was sponsored. And I really do top my yummy macaroni and cheese recipe with bread crumbs. As always, the opinions in this post are my own.