THE WHAT: Blue Mountain Resort, Collingwood, ON
THE HOW: family activities which cover 4 seasons – ready for your next family adventure
THE WHERE: Just 2 hours northwest of Toronto
THE ACTIVITIES: Where to start? Blue Mountain Resort has an activity for everyone. From grandparents shopping the village to parents dining to teens mountain biking to toddlers running around the piazza – there is a ridiculous number of things to do at Blue. Whether you are planning a summer vacation, a little staycation or a weekend get-a-way…Green Season is a great time to explore Blue Mountain.
- The Low Rope Course is an activity where you go through three progressive courses, featuring 25 different elements, including suspended logs, beams, ropes, cables and cargo nets. My 9-year-old and 11-year-old LOVED it. Safely tethered in, even I gave it a go (and it was super fun).
- Cascade Putting Course is an 18 hole putting course landscaped in the middle of the village.
- Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster Ontario’s 1st mountain coaster is a must-do at Blue. (Confession: my first response was NO to doing it…I’m not a coaster fan…but sometimes you have to step outside your box when on vacation…and it ended up being a really fun ride). The coaster can get to speeds of up to 42 km/h (yeah – not mine…on Ridge Runner you control the speed of your individual coaster with breaks so my daughter and I took a leisurely roll down the mountain instead of a 42 km/h thrill ride – good to know for parents riding with kids).
- Open-Air Gondola great for all ages (yes, even our babe-in-arms could go on) the gondola is a nice ride up the mountain showing a beautiful landscape. Since mountain biking is a big draw at Blue the gondola is available for sight seers as well as bikers (my kids had a great time waving to the mountain bikers – who were all kind enough to wave back).
- Dockside welcomes families with big Muskoka chairs. Try kayaking, whole family paddleboating or catch and release fishing. My kids did the kayaking – fun but warning…you might return to the dock with wet shorts 🙂
You can also book outside-the-resort activities like hummer rides, scenic caves, spa services, golfing and more through the activity centre.
The above activities are all pay-as-you-go with tickets available for purchase at the activity centres located in the Blue Mountain Village. It’s good to note the FREE family activities as well…
- Street chess with toddler-size-chess-pieces
- Street checkers
- Village scavenger hunt with a prize (scavenger hunt card is available at the activity centre)
- Special events (like Salsa Fest, Canada Day, Movies Under The Stars and more)
When you think of Blue Mountain you might first think winter activities…but there is tons to do at Blue during Green Season!
Disclosure: I had the opportunity to experience Blue Mountain Village activities first-hand. The low ropes scared the bejesus out of me but I was so proud to have conquered the course. The opinions in this post are my own.