There is nothing more of a comfort food to me than apple crisp (I share my reasons below). This is my own Apple Crisp Recipe – which I created with my daughter – and we have built a tradition of making it together. It is a kid-friendly recipe; encouraging kids to get in the kitchen and then taste the goodness of their hard work. And it’s delish!…
So why do I love apple crisp so much?! The evening I gave birth to my 1st child – my Mom brought me a dish (not just a serving – a whole dish!) of apple crisp to comfort me during my recoup and give me energy for my newborn. I admit: I ate the whole dish of apple crisp that night (if you are up every 3 hours with a newborn – snacks are required). Ever since…apple crisp warms my heart because it makes me think of my Mom…and my baby.
Apple Crisp Recipe
- 8 large Gala apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp honey (we like lavender honey)
- 1 – 2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/4 butter
- 1/4 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 350C
- Peel and slice apples
- Put apples in large bowl.
- Add honey. Mix to coat well. Add cinnamon. Mix to coat well.
- Spray 9×13 pan with cooking oil. Transfer apple mixture to 9×13 pan.
- Next take bowl and pour in flour, brown sugar, and oats. Mix together. Pour 1/4 cup of water over apples (this will help keep them moist during baking).
- Microwave butter for 15 seconds to soften.
- Add butter to flour mixture. Mix well until the flour mixture comes together.
- Spread flour mixture over top of apple mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Until golden brown. Serve hot, warm, or even cold.
Tips for baking apple crisp with kids…
- Older kids can peel and slice apples
- Older kids can measure ingredients
- Younger kids can mix ingredients
- Younger kids can pat the flour/oat mixture
When baking – younger kids need to stay away from sharp objects like peelers and knives. However, be sure to include them in the more age appropriate baking tasks.
Baking with kids helps to develop reading skills, math skills (fractions in measurements), hand/eye coordination…plus it is a great way to spend time as a family. Baking with my kids?! Big weekly tradition in my house. Highly recommend it as a food idea and kid activity!
Oats are my comfort. Inside my body (in form of Apple Crisp) and outside when I use Aveeno Active Naturals on my skin. My whole family trusts Aveeno Active Naturals products (from the Aveeno Baby products we use with my son to the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Wash the big kids use in the shower to the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion which I use every morning).