5 Tips For Better Sleep For Kids – because you know…if they sleep through the night…so do YOU! Personally, with all three of my kids, I found consistency was #1 (read more about that below) in a good night’s sleep. Maybe it’s because I’m a creature of habit myself. I hope these 5 Tips For Better Sleep For Kids…help your kids (and you) sleep all night long.
Tips For Better Sleep For Kids
#1 Consistency. For me this means…same bedtime every night (except weekends where you can stay up an extra bit if it’s a special occasion). But same bedtime gave the kids a clear destination for the day…8:30pm…gotta be in bed. Consistency also translates into location (their bed…not my bed). Consistency also flows into routine.
#2 Routine. Experts call it clear transition time. It means TV, homework, games are shut down. There is a switch into pjs. Then, walk to the bathroom for teeth brushing. Finally, cozy in bed for a story for a Mom to read.
#3 Stress-Free Bedtime. Keep bedtime positive and stress-free. I found a 5-minute-to-bedtime warning helped with cuing kids. Then, TV gets turned off and we go to bedrooms. If someone cries about bedtime – I re-focus their energy with “Should you pick the book tonight or should I?” (it gives them a “job” to pick a book which makes them forget crying).
#4 You’re Fine To Go To Sleep. After story time…there are no glasses of water. No one more book. No toy for playing (though there are stuffed animals in bed to keep them company). I have long supported my kids’ confidence knowing they are fine to go to sleep in their own beds. If ever there’s a “Can I tell you one more thing?” question I usually answer…”I would love to hear it…at breakfast. Sweet dreams.”
#5 Manage Overnight Disruptions. Uninterrupted sleep can be a challenge for nighttime wetters (it’s a natural and inevitable part of growing up). For me, I found limiting water after 7pm and maximizing comfort overnight with GoodNites® Bedtime Pants were helpful during the nighttime wetting stage. With sizes XS – XL, GoodNites® Bedtime Pants have double leg barriers that help prevent leaks and are super absorbent to help keep kids dry and comfortable all night, no matter what sleep position they prefer.
Enter for a chance to win a GoodNites Better Sleep KitGoodNites® Bedtime Pants – We will provide the size & gender of your child, as previously shared
- Glow in The Dark Stickers – For kids that are afraid of the dark, these stickers will help make bedtime easier without disturbing their sleep.
- Toothbrush – A step in every child’s nighttime routine, a new toothbrush will help make brushing their teeth fun.
- Bedtime Lotion – Calming lavender lotion will help kids feel calm and relaxed right before they turn off the lights.
- Face Cloths – These kids-sized face cloths will offer kids a sense of independence and get them excited to wash up on their own.
- Nighttime Socks – Sherpa socks will help keep kids warm and comfortable right after bath time or in bed.
- Bedtime Story – Wind down at the end of a busy day with a
Disclosure: #ad This post is in partnership with GoodNites. All opinions, as always, are my own.