This DIY no-sew pouch has so many possibilities. You can use it as a DIY make up bag or ear phone case. Best part is that you upcycle a sock (you know you have all those lonely socks – no longer in a pair – left at the bottom of your laundry basket – this craft gives them new life!). This DIY no-sew pouch is a good activity/boredom buster for tweens and teens…
DIY no-sew pouch
You will need:
- clean sock
- glue (I used tacky fabric glue)
- zipper (available at fabric store — I bet you could alternatively use velcro)
Aside: if your tweens/teens like to do DIY I recommend my DIY LIPGLOSS tutorial. It only takes 2 ingredients and is a great activity for birthday parties (also becomes part of the loot bag!).
Easy no-sew pouch how to…
- To make the DIY no-sew pouch place your sock, glue, scissors, and zipper on a flat surface.
- Cut your sock where you want to end your fabric pouch (I opted to cut on a diagonal from heel to ankle because I wanted the bottom part of the pouch to be longer than the top part – you can cut it however you want).
- Turn the sock inside out. Place a liberal amount of glue (i.e. use a lot of glue) along the open side of the sock to bond the two sides of fabric together. Drying time for the glue will differ depending on what type of glue you use (you want a fabric glue or glue gun…white school glue won’t cut it for this craft).
- Once the glue is dry. Place your zipper where you want the opening to be. Cut the zipper to size of your opening (no there is no actual opening yet–we will get to that in a minute).
- Glue the bottom of your zipper (try not to get any glue on the teeth of the zipper). Turn the zipper over and place it on the fabric of the sock. You want the zipper teeth to be close enough that you will be able to zip it closed when it is dry.
- Once the the glue is dry – take your scissors and carefully cut through one layer of the sock fabric (not both!). Cut an opening in the sock as long as you zipper opening. Turn the sock outside in (so back to how it was in #1). Zip your zipper closed. And with that…your DIY make up bag or ear phone case is done!
Some advice…this craft actually takes about an afternoon to make (the drying time of glue can take time). So while this might sound like a good birthday party activity idea…you probably want to make it a sleepover birthday party activity rather than a 3 hour afternoon party craft idea.
Also, you could swap out the zipper and use velcro with glue holding it on.
If you need to wash this fabric pouch – I would suggest hand wash only.
Oh…and that DIY lipgloss tutorial…you should check that out 🙂