I doubled Becel All-In-One Nutrition Squares Recipe a few weeks ago so we could eat one immediately and freeze the other for later. Not only was it a complete hit for breakfast it was easy to make because I already had all the ingredients in my kitchen. You will want to bookmark this recipe!…
Becel All-In-One Nutrition Squares Recipe
Before we begin…I did customize my double batch of Becel All-In-One Nutrition Squares Recipe. And this recipe is very accommodating to customization (read: you won’t break the recipe if you customize it). I’ve put my substitutions below in blue while the true recipe is in black.
No matter what you bake, replace butter with margarine 1:1 in any recipe — it’ll be one of the easiest changes you’ll make, and it’s great for your heart healthy diet, too.
Remember, I doubled my recipe to make two bundt cakes – the following recipe makes one cake
- 4 egg whites or 125 mL egg substitute (I substituted 4 whole eggs)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) buttermilk (I substituted 3/4 cup 2% milk)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Becel® Original margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) coarsely grated carrots
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) bran cereal or muesli cereal, (not flakes) (I used Bran Buds)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) grated orange peel or lemon peel (I omitted simply because I didn’t have any oranges or lemons)
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Beat egg whites, buttermilk and melted Becel® Original margarine in medium bowl with wire whisk until blended; set aside. Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until well combined. Turn into lightly greased 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking pan, smoothing the top.
Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into squares to serve. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Nutritional info on this recipe is here.
As a Mom, I try to offer healthy food options when I can (and chez moi…breakfast is often a homemade, healthy, fiber-filled muffin or cake to start the day off right). This is why I will certainly make this squares recipe again — the grated carrots, bran cereal, Becel with simpler ingredients – I feel good about offering this delicious choice to my family.
I made the switch to Becel after trying the BECEL ANYTHING GOES COOKIE DOUGH RECIPE (such a good and easy cookie – it’s the only cookie recipe I use now!).
Baking with soft, non-hydrogenated margarine like Becel Buttery Taste is a heart-healthy option as it contains 80 per cent less saturated fat than butter, and has zero trans-fat. It also provides a source of “good” omega-3 polyunsaturated fats.
Healthy for you and tastes great – it’s time to try more Becel recipes!
Share: Have you ever tried to replace butter with margarine 1:1 in any recipe?…
Note: this post is powered by Becel – opinions, as always, are mine (and this recipe is really good!).