I just made my first batch of DIY Potpourri and total SUCCESS. This DIY is easy! With just a few ingredients (which you probably already have in your kitchen) you can make your own potpourri. I dried apples and oranges for a winter batch…you should totally try this…
How to make homemade DIY Potpourri…
You will need:
- one apple
- one orange
- cinnamon sticks
- star anise
- cutting board
- cookie tray
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Wash apples and oranges (never hurts to wash fruit right?!)
- Thinly cut apples and oranges
- Place piece of parchment paper on cookie tray.
- Place cut apple and orange slices on parchment tray in neat little lines
- Bake for an 90 minutes. (I baked the apples and oranges for 90 minutes at which point they were, in fact, dried. I then turned off stove and went to bed and left them in the hot oven to cool over night. Next morning I took them out of the cold oven).
- Place dried apples and oranges with cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise in an air tight container. Allow the mixture to “marinate” for 24 hours.
- Then place this homemade potpourri in jars (I re-purposed clean glass candle holders).
Other homemade potpourri ideas…
- pine cones
- pine needles
- rose petals
Put the homemade potpourri in sachets, envelopes, mason jars, candy dishes or plates.
And this DIY potpourri is the perfect gift to give! Think: teacher present, Mother’s day, Christmas. You could also consider it in Gifts Kids Can Make because I know my 12 year old can certainly preheat an oven and thinly cut apples (with supervision of course).
And if you like DIYs…may I recommend my DIY Lipgloss only 2 ingredients – one of the most read posts here on Parent Club!