This activity was a HIT. Hit I tell you! I didn’t realize how much the kids would love this Compliment Books Activity – empowering, fun, entertaining, and a great keepsake. And the bonus: seriously a budget-friendly activity. I would highly recommend this for your next play date, birthday party or class mate get together.
Compliment Books Activity
You will need:
- Journals (I bought a bunch at the dollar store)
- Have the kids sit in a circle (or as close as they can get to a circle)
- Hand out the journals and pens
- Have each kid write their name on the first page of the journal (big or small – their choice)
- Instruct kids: hand your book to the right
- Have them turn the journal to the 2nd page.
- Have the kids write a compliment (go over what a compliment is…something positive, encouraging, empowering, happy). If they need a writing prompt try “What I like about you…”
- Set a time limit (I did a rough 3 minutes)
- Then say aloud, “Hand your book to the right” (and wait for all the kids to start singing Beyonce’s “to the right – to the right” song…it will happen…I betcha!)
- Anyways, after the kids have handed the books to the right – they repeat step 6 – writing a compliment.
- Continue handing books to the right until everyone has written in each other’s books.
What I found is that the girls needed different amounts of time (some wrote paragraph’s, some wrote lists, some wrote a single sentence). What I did was play music in the background so that if they were done…they could just chill out.
The girls loved this activity. Afterwards, they all read their compliment books (some aloud, some silently). It turned out to be a great boredom buster and keepsake for them.
I think kids – especially tween/teen girls – need to be reminded of how awesome they are…and this book conveyed from friend to friend…the special points in each person.
I highly recommend this activity! And if you are hosting a bunch of tween/teen girls and happen to be wondering what to do…you also might try this ->