This Cinnamon Clay Ornament Recipe is a great boredom buster for kids! Using only 2 ingredients – you can create a sweet smelling dough that can be made into ornaments or gift decorations. It’s great for holidays or just an activity for a rainy day…
Cinnamon Clay Ornament Recipe
Age appropriate: Preschoolers to adult
You will need:
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup cinnamon
- Wooden spoon
- Wax paper (or non-stick mat)
- Cookie cutters
- Cookie rack (for drying)
- Straw (optional)
- Mix applesauce and cinnamon in a bowl. Knead the mixture until it turns into a firm clay.
- Clay is best when used at room temperature. Roll it out on wax paper (or a non-stick mat). Use cookie cutters for desired shape. (We’ve used stars which worked really well).
- You can also free form the clay; shaping it with your hands (think: balls, snowmen, happy faces).
- If you are going to hang your shape… while it is still wet…use a straw to poke a hole near the top of your decoration. Then, allow to dry.
- Place shapes on a cooling rack in an out-of the way cool place. Dry shapes for approximately 2 days. You may need to turn them occasionally.
These decorations smell amazing…and they keep for months. Great teacher or grandparent gift.