In need of an easy side dish recipe or a crowd pleasing savory appetizer? My Spinach, Onion, and Feta in Puff Pastry is delicious. This recipe is quick and easy (the way all recipes should be right?!). It’s like an open face Spanakopita or spinach pie recipe. I cut this Spinach onion feta puff pastry into squares and served it as a vegetable side dish (but it could easily double as finger food too)…
Spinach, Onion, and Feta in Puff Pastry
NOTE: Defrost the frozen puff pastry and frozen spinach overnight in the refrigerator.
- 1 package of Tenderflake frozen puff pastry (thaw overnight in refrigerator)
- 2 packages of frozen chopped spinach (thaw and defrost)
- 1 package of shredded feta cheese (approx. 200 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375C
- Thaw and defrost spinach according to package directions. Squeeze off excess water.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil. Chop onion. Place onion in frying pan to gently saute.
- When the sauteed onions are a clear colour, add in spinach. Saute together for 3 minutes (stirring once in a while).
- Then add in the shredded feta cheese. Turn off stove top and allow cheese to incorporate and melt (the heat of the pan itself will melt the cheese).
- In the meantime, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Open up the package of Tenderflake frozen puff pastry. Roll out each of the squares of puff pastry to make two long rectangles (you can use a rolling pin or just stretch by hand). Place rectangles of puff pastry on to the parchment paper.
- Next, crack one egg and scramble it. Mix the scrambled egg into the spinach/cheese mixture.
- Then, take spinach/cheese/egg mixture and divide it evenly on to the two puff pastry rectangles. You can either fold up the sides of the puff pastry to make a type of gallete or leave them unfolded.
- Put both cookie sheets into the pre-heated oven. Bake for 25-30 min (until the puff pastry is golden). Remove from oven. Transfer to cutting board. Cut and serve warm.
- Also, great left over toasted for lunch the next day!
Spinach onion feta puff pastry gallette This Spinach onion feta puff pastry recipe makes two tarts. One I left as a rectangle and the other I folded up into a gallette. Same taste just two different presentations. And totally yum.
For the flakiest pastry every time, trust Tenderflake Frozen Pastry products to deliver that delicious baked from scratch taste every time. With Tenderflake Puff Pastry create elegant appetizers, main entrées, and sweet treats that everyone will love. Find food inspiration on the Tenderflake pinterest board.