This is a great knotting activity which doubles as a great present. Gifts Kids Can Make – No-Sew Fleece Hat. If a kid can make a knot…they can do this activity! 3 “ingredients” is all you need to make this functional yet fashionable hat… What you will need:
- Polar fleece (available at fabric stores. 1/2 yard cost $4.00 and I could make 4 hats)
- Measuring tape
Gifts Kids Can Make – No-Sew Fleece Hat
- Start by folding the fleece over so that you have two layers. The “fold” should be at the top (this is the top of your hat)
- NOTE: there is a stretchy direction to fleece (go ahead and stretch it up and down – and then – side to side – you will find one way stretches more than the other). You want the width of your hat to be in the stretchy direction (it makes knotting much easier).
- This activity has a little math (no – it’s not hard – I’m terrible at Math – and if I could do this…anyone can). Using a measuring tape – measure the circumference of your head (circumference means: all the way around). If you are making a surprise gift go ahead and use my measurements (which actually fit both my toddler and tween – it was one-size-fits-all).
- So my measurement: 28 inches wide. So we have 30 inches. Divide this measurement in 1/2…which makes 14 inches (the short form for inches is ” – so for example 14″ means 14 inches). Now add 2 inches for knotting. Final width measurement: 16 inches.
- Next, measure 8 inches high (this is the height of your hat)
- Using scissors, cut 16 inches in width and 8 inches in height.
- Now, along the width of your fabric (which should also be the stretchy direction), measure 2 inches (for knotting). Keep the two layers together please!
- Cut through both layers of fabric 2 inches up (about every inch or so) along the left and right side of your hat. Remember, the fold is the top part of your hat.
- Next is the fun part, take the bottom layer of fabric and top layer of fabric and double knot them together.
- Complete knotting the left side and then the right side.
The cutting takes the most time in this activity (and here – I measured and cut everything out ahead of time and then had my daughter knot while I made dinner – she loved it). TIP: you can switch up this activity by making the length longer and then you make a hat with a “tail”. My Gifts Kids Can Make – No-Sew Fleece Hats is for older kids. If you want a boredom buster for younger kids I suggest: Gifts Kids Can Make – Snowman Handprints - that one is a huge hit!