Keep a toddler busy on a rainy day can be tough! Little hands and bodies like to be busy and staying indoors all day can limit activity. Pre-schoolers need activity to keep them entertained (and work towards a good nap…which everyone loves!). Here are 5 pre-schooler activities to keep toddlers busy on a rainy day.
- Toy Box. Clear a space in the centre of your play room and bring out the most favourite toddler toys. Action toys. Standing toys. Sitting toys. Toys that make noise and toys that are quiet. You will find your toddler discovering and exploring toys you already have in the house.
- Theme Day. Make it a transportation morning by playing trucks, cars and planes (either using toys, make-believe, colouring or just looking out the window). Then switch it up in the afternoon by making it a water day and supervising a swim in the bathtub.
- Timed Activities. switching activities every 30 minutes helps move the day forward when you are inside all day. 30 minutes of toys, 30 minutes of dancing in the living room, 30 minutes of snack and stories. Anyone can survive a day inside if you take it 30 minutes at a time.
- Play areas. Play in different areas of the house throughout the day. Basement. Living room. Playroom. Bedroom. Even the kitchen – put out some pots and pans and give your pre-schooler a wooden spoon to make “music”.
- Counting. Oh the things you can count in the house. Blocks. Spoons. Cups. Stairs. Count forwards and backwards. It helps with communication as well and numeric skills.